Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday

Recently I was thinking what makes this Friday so good? I mean for the man that had to endure it, it wasn't so good but for the rest of us it turns out to be a pretty good day. I guess I struggle with the term good which would seem to indicate a nice, happy or fun day which I'm sure it was not back about 2000 years ago. Thank you to my wife for giving me another vantage point to understand the term good was meant for me so I'll take it that way and thank her for keeping me grounded.

Speaking of Good Friday, recently the National Geographic Society made The Gospel of Judas public. The 13 sheets of crumbling papyrus discovered in the Egyptian desert in the 1970s seems to be authentic and the big "revelation" described within the document is that the author's indicate Jesus asked Judas to turn him over to the high priests. Being the Gospel of Judas, I'm not sure this is such a surprising statement.

I have to say the best theory of what happened on the original Good Friday is one that has been put forward by William Barclay, author of the widely used ''Daily Study Bible". Braclay writes that what most likely motivated Judas was impatience with Jesus and his slowness in overthrowing the Roman overlords. By betraying Jesus, Judas may have been hoping to force the master into action [sounds like managing your manager] however what does happen is something completely different and Judas also pays the ultimate price, most likely from remorse over his actions.

So on this Good Friday let's not forget the past and work toward a greater future...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home