Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Idol, The Morning After The Born On Date

Born on date week again gives the contestants a big range of songs and styles to choose from. But can they select songs that fit their voice? Hmmmm 1971 it would have to be Joy To The World by Three Dog Night just because it was the #1 song of the year but I digress.

Danny Gokey - Stand By Me

This is by far my least favorite Gokey performance this year. It wasn't until about 2/3rds the way through the song that I didn't fell like I was watching a B performer on a cruise ship. The arrangement was horrible and only got tolerable at the end where I think Danny's style finally arrived.

Kris Allen - All She Wants to Do Is Dance

Solid performance on a song which I thought was a bad song choice. Kris did really put his mark on this classic 80's track. I have to agree with Randy the horns were a bit much but [again] I think this song tells us what Kris will and won't be.

Lil Rounds - What's Love Got to Do with It

Editors note: Called it! This week again Lil shows that she can sing but only as a copycat without much originality. Is she gonna be a Celin clone? Tina clone? Or a Whitney Clone? Not sure at this point and she'll begin to loose people if she continues down this path. Does she not see the other contestants "making it there own"?

Anoop Desai - True Colors

Could Anoop be emerging as a contender? Great rework of a very popular song and I really love when there is a gender switch which makes the song really feel new. This is much more like what I think Anoop would be like as an artist. Singing songs like this could take him further than the Usher like tracks which don't work.

Scott MacIntyre - The Search Is Over

I think the search is over for this weeks eliminated contestant. No only was it unoriginal the vocals sounded worse then things I have heard at the local bar on karaoke night. Sure I'm impressed he can play piano and guitar but I think his run has come to an end. PS If this is your punk side coming out,put it back.

Allison Iraheta - I Can't Make You Love Me

This goes to show that sometimes, a simple cover works when you can really sing and the song only needs your own tiny little inflections to own it. It was nice to see Allison holding back her powerful voice and showing she can be soft and tender when the song calls for it. So far the best of the night.

Matt Giraud - Part-Time Lover

Fantastic song choice and I thought the funk based arrangement matches who Matt is as an artist. Not the strongest vocalist but his style and straight is this kind of song. I think performance got Matt back on track into the top 5. Note to Paula, O is technically not a word.

Necessary Rant: Damn you American Idol for running long. My DVR did not capture any thing after Matt's performance so no childhood stories nor any of Adam's performance. Why are they having such a problem with time management this year? It is beginning to piss me off and I don't think any TV show can do things to alienate their already shrinking audience. Heck they might even want to embrace the technology, it's not going away and only becoming more popular. Ok, I feel better now, sort of. Here is a posting of his performance for those who also missed it last night.

Adam Lambert -

Adam continues to surprise me in the with his vocals and unique stylings. The song was haunting, in a good way, and I was very glad to hear him keep the vocals in check and not go all squealer at the end. He has become the clear on favorite to win.

Cream Of The Crop: Allison and Adam
Bottom Of The Barrel: Lil and Scott
Should Go Home: Scott
Will Go Home: Scott

Will He/She Be Saved: I can't see the judges wanting to keep Scott around another week but if someone like Anoop or Kris ends up out tonight don't be surprised if they use their new AI given power to save.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, April 08, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee Lee said...
I think they should bring back Brian Dunkelman for time management. I think he would have more control over the judges and get AI to fit in the 2 hr alotted time....LOL
Still a big fan of Danny but I am starting to like Matt better so Danny - He needs to pick it up or I see Matt in the final three
Kris - didn't get it, weird
Lil - Not good, very copy cat and yes, even her moves were the same as Tina
Anoop - I got chills for the first time with this guy. Outstanding!
Scott - OMG...Why oh Why is he still here?
Allison - Da Bomb
Matt - can be my part-time lover...oops..was that outloud?
Adam - I wasn't sure why Simon gave a standing O for that but they are obvious HUGE fans and I wouldn't doubt this guy is already recording his album after he wins. If he doesn't win by some strange reason, his days of sleeping at mom's or his boyfriend's house are over...this guy is gonna be huge. I would even consider listening to my downloaded free version from you know who as long as he is not SCREAMING every song. We'll see.

Cream Of The Crop: Allison and Matt
Bottom Of The Barrel: Lil and Scott
Should Go Home: Scott
Will Go Home: Scott
Praying He Goes Home: Scott

 
At 2:32 PM, April 08, 2009, Anonymous J-Man said...

OK, loving Adam, Kris, and Matt, and to a lesser extent, Gokey. He is the early favorite losing his lead. Everyone else is upping their game while he holds steady, which makes him appear to be getting worse.

I liked Kris's performance. Henley's version isn't all that in terms of music, and Kris's appearance would have been better if he wasn't in that weird mosh pit. If he didn't change it up he would have gotten shit from the judges, so he did right.

Matt looked and sounded great (if a little of out breath) and it was good to see him shine tonight.

Lil' can go home any time. She looked great but just doesn't get it. America and our not-so-equal opportunity mentalities make us feel guilt if we don't like Scott, but blind or not, he's got to go.

Adam was awesome again and everyone knows he is the one to watch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home