Thursday, March 26, 2009

Idol, The Morning After Motown Week

Top 10 + Motown = Potentially Great Week. Motown music gives the contestants a opportunity to take something old [and classic] and make it new again.

Matt Giraud - Let's Get It On

Soft piano driven start leading to a full band finish was a nice arrangement. I really liked how he stepped from behind the piano and he gave a crowd-pleasing performance.

Kris Allen - How Sweet It Is

Hmmm, interesting. Felt like a very safe song for Kris this week. I actually thought the arrangement was a basic copy of how JT might play it with a large backing band instead of oh-so-very-Kris like that the judges kept saying.

Scott MacIntyre - You Can't Hurry Love

Something about his performance made me think he was completely uncomfortable with this song choice. It maybe the song range was too big for his own skill and style. Honky Tonk is a great description Simon.

Megan Joy - For Once In My Life

I think Smokey was right and Megan's stle is all about Jazz and Cabaret and that just didn't fit this song. I also thought the key she chose may have been too low for this song.

Anoop Desai - Ooo Baby Baby

While his vocals were good, my problem with Anoop Dog is that over the past 5 weeks I still have no clue what he is all about. Front man? Singer Songwriter? Rocker? Rap Star? I'm just not sure what he would record.

Mid Point Commentary - So far Smokey appears to have told each performer to just do what they did for him and I would say he's about 1 for 5 with that advice. Dear AI, please show us these mentors actually mentor the contestants.

Michael Sarver - Ain't Too Proud to Beg

For me, this was his best performance so far - which might not be saying too much. A good copy of the original in arrangement, vocals and performance. It could have better if he tried to make it more of his own.

Lil Rounds - (Love is Like a) Heatwave

Yeah she has a hell of a voice but I actually felt like it was too big for this song, if that's possible. Maybe she ust needs to learn how to pull bakc that huge voice to better fit the song instead of just over powering it. On the plus side, I think her stylist put her in the perfect outfit for her bootie, I mean body.

Adam Lambert - Tracks Of My Tears

Wow, that's what Adam really looks like. I have not been his biggest fan but I have to say this was good. The stripped down arrangement was brilliant and I actually liked his control and even vocals which is quite a change from his past screechy performances. PS Kara, that was 8 words.

Danny Gokey - Get Ready

Still ove his voice and his vocals here were as expected - solid. Interestingly, I felt this was my least favorite of his so far because it felt like a straight-on cover where in the past he has delivered on some unexpected songs.

Allison Iraheta - Papa Was a Rollin' Stone

In the beginning I thought she had made a bad song choice but once she got the first chorus and beyond I thought it was really great. I am still wondering if she as the range to fit into all of the different styles in the coming weeks. And yes Paula, the "Pencil Thin Mustache" is funny - really funny.

Cream Of The Crop: Matt, Adam, Danny, Alison
Muddling In The Middle: Kris, Anoop, Lil
Bottom Of The Barrel: Scott, Megan, Michael
Should Go Home: Scott
Will Go Home: Michael

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, March 26, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cream of the Crop: Matt, Adam and Alison. I love Danny but didn't make my top three this week. :(
Should go home: Michael Sarver. He has a great voice but not for a recording contract. He could work on a cruise ship or maybe win a karaoke around the area and pick up some grand prizes but I don't think we'll be hearing him on Mix 98.5 anytime soon. Bye Bye Mike.

 
At 10:13 PM, March 26, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so late. Oh well, I will keep it short.

Matt Giraud:

Holy MOLE-y do I think Matt is growing on me. It was really sad to see him in the bottom 3 because he is good and consistent, but not so loved?

Kris Allen
Like this guy still, but he is a middle of the pack guy. Simon hit on something saying he didn't have star power. He would look as good playing guitar in a subway for coinage as on the AI stage.

Scott MacIntyre
Let me be blunt and say that as soon as people stop feeling sorry for the guy he is gone! He isn't in the same league as the others, isn't interesting, and needs to go home.

Megan Joy
I actually thought it was one of her better performances, but I am not her biggest fan. Interesting to see she wasn't in the bottom 3!

Anoop Desai
I really like Anoop's voice but he seems not to be a rock star. More like a math-lete that got caught in a singing concert. Plus, I keep thinking Harold is going to come up behind him with a White Castle burger!

Michael Sarver
Nice guy, sings really well for an oil rig roughneck, but starting to look out of place in some of the other contestants. He was better with the sensitive teddy-bear action a la Reuben Studdard.

Lil Rounds
The little tassels on her dress were further apart on her back side than her front, but she still looked good. I liked her singing, but the nostalgic angle she went with didn't work for me. I guess I am just not that "Motown".

Adam Lambert
When he got done I said to myself, "If the Wino doesn't like this guy after this week, I don't know what he can do!" Good to see the Wino approves.

Danny Gokey
He would have gotten a lashing if he wasn't so good in previous weeks. It was a mess. He still sounded good, but the stage presence and emotion in the song was awful and missing, respectively.

Allison Iraheta
I can't believe she was in the bottom three last week! If anything, she looked and sounded great, and she rocked like an angry 25 year old, not a 16 year old! This is the best girl left, we cannot lose her yet!

(NOT SO) BOLD PREDICTION:
Right now it looks like Danny, Adam, and Allison in the top 3, with Danny losing to Adam in the finals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home