Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Piano version of Footloose

At the tender age of 3, Gabriel Greenberg lost his sister to a car accident in 1985. Unable to really look at the items left behind by his big sister, Greenberg typically just didn't look at them until one day back in 2005 he came across a cassette "with a startling cover photograph - this was Footloose. I couldn't stop listening: it was a portrait of 80's love, desire, pain, freedom, and frenzy; of being a teenager in a time of change. By listening, I could step into Jenny's shoes, see things from her vantage point. I could be emancipated by rock and roll and walkmen, just as she had been. We could listen together." Flash forward 2 years where Greenberg asked his friend Thomas Bartlett [a.k.a. Doveman] to re-imagine the entire album with which they "could reply to the past, tell our own story about being young. This is what he made."




With this eerie and haunting cover of the Footloose soundtrack Doveman and company have found a new way to stretch music across genres as well as generations.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, August 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haunting is right...this guy sounds like an obscene phone caller with a kareoke machine!

Sorry Wino, I feel for losing a sister, and I am sure this was therapeutic for Gabriel, but I will probably need therapy after hearing that title track. I know I am not the most sensitive guy out there, but I would file this under "Butchered 80's Songs" right next to the Kia commercial where the car salesman Flashdances to Michael Sembello's "Maniac".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home