Friday, April 25, 2008

Telemarketing goes to a new low

A woman called my company today and stated she worked for The Chamber of Commerce and was updating her records on our business. Note: this is the second time she called here this week, I know because I spoke to her before. She just said she was completing our "file" and wanted to verify our address, which she had correct. Then she went on to ask if we were moving when our lease was up or planning on staying. Another note: we might move at year's end to a different location near our current address or we just might re-up our lease - not sure yet. Since I already told her that we may or may not move I asked her again why she wanted to know so badly if we had found a new location, if we have been working with a realtor, ect. After a few minutes of this line of questioning, I finally tried to pin her down. I asked her name to which she responded Grace Cortez. I then verify she worked for the Marlborough Chamber of Commerce to which she said yes. I went even further to inquire about a phone number for which she could be reached at, to which she promptly gave me this number: 508-435-2000 [which looks like the kind of number a chamber might have]. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to recognize the exchange to be in the town of Hopkinton not in the town of Marlborough. She also asked if she could send me a change of address form by fax which I said she could, however I don't expect it to ever arrive. Once I hung up with "Grace", I called the actual Chamber of Commerce, who have a Marlborough phone number, to inquire about this mystery caller. They of course had no idea who she was so I just told them to be aware someone is posing as a member to try and obtain information about companies and their possible need for a business realtor. This is a new low, even for telemarketers, trying to drum up business. I wish that we had caller ID so I could do some real detective work on these guys [mostly to let the world know who they are]. If she calls back, I'll try to dig in even further and maybe expose who the real Grace is working for.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, April 29, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mama's gotta feed the kids, BOTB...mama's gotta feed the kids :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home