Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Idol Top 6: The Morning After

The music of Andrew Lloyd Webber? Alright. Words, Words, Words. Kind of an odd statement for a guy known for his composing music but ok. Can the contestants take Broadway songs and, as Simon put it, make them memorable and contemporary? In 1 hour we will know.

Syesha | One Rock & Roll Too Many - Starlight Express

'Bout time they did something with her hair! [The AI stylist must have been reading my blog posts for the last weeks] Loved the song choice and the red dress. I thought Syesha sounded great and this was by far her best performance. I liked the Ricky/Syehsa connection but would have cut the whole singing to the guitar player. It might be so good, she could slide up into the top 3 instead of the perennial bottom 3 where she has been for he past few weeks.

Jason | Memory - Cats

Jason. A rather popular song? Really, with who? This song was over the top too big for Jason's limited range which he seemed lost among the very nice orchestra music. Too bad ALW didn't write a musical about a group of 20-somethings hanging out in a coffee shop all the time - oh wait that was Friends and I'll Be There For You was not an option. Maybe when it's Acoustic-Cover-Of-Over-Played-TV-Theme-Song Week he'll have a better chance.

Brooke | You Must Love Me - Evita

Holy Crap! Forgotten lyric/mis-start? As I said for David A. when he pulled that in week 12, I would call that a season-ender. For most of the song, Brooke sounded ok but at times the music seemed to take over. She did seem to connect with the song but didn't connect with me as a listener. This maybe the week this performance will finally but Brooke out of her misery [and allow me to not go 0-for-3 in Brooke is going home predictions because I'm going to keep putting her down as going home until she actually does].

David A. | Think Of Me - The Phantom Of The Opera

There's no doubt the kid can sing and he sounds like a Broadway star to me [I mean I could never buy a whole album of sappy piano driver tracks from a 17 year old kid]. While I disagree with the judges calling it "Da Bomb" and "Perfect" because I felt the low notes in the middle section seemed a little off key and not nearly as strong as the real big notes of the song. Unfortunately for me, the legions of Archuleta's tweeny fans will keep him around for 4 to 6 more weeks.

Carly | Superstar - Jesus Christ Superstar

I got one word to describe Carly's Broadway week song - ROCKIN! Carly really gave this classic Broadway tune and added a sprinkle of rock and a touch of blues. She is by far the strongest female vocalist of the final 3 ladies and she should reach the top 3. Superstar, Do you think you're what they say you are? [I do] And in a clever PR move, she brought out the very awesome Great Simon Loves Me (This Week) t-shirt. Wonder if the remaining contestants will order there very own after tonight's elimination?

David C. | Music Of The Night - The Phantom Of The Opera

Not so sure of his high notes in the beginning but one he got into the song a bit, he really sounded good. And his big note gave this slow tempo song some much needed punch. Of all of the Idols, this was the only song/performance that I felt conveyed the story element that you would expect when you see at a live musical performance and again David was the man of the week.

Gratuitous Celebrity Sightings: Paul Stanley, David Duchovny
Hottie Of The Week: Syesha [by a mile]
Should Be In The Bottom Three: Jason, Brooke, David A.
Will Be In The Bottom Three: Syesha, Jason, Brooke
Should Go Home: Brooke
Will Go Home: Brooke

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, April 23, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, now I won't go through each one, as I think E. has hit the nail on the head for each.

I will throw this out there...

Brooke needs to go home in such a bad way. If America gets this one wrong tonight it will be a shame. She is pathetic and I honestly cringe watching her.

My dream bottom three would be Brooke, David A., and Jason Castro, with Brooke and David in the bottom two, but we all know THAT isn't going to happen.

Also, Syesha is the super hottie of the week. Meow!

 
At 7:12 PM, April 23, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee Lee Said...

Comments are better late than never. Anyway:

Syesha: This is her element, say goodbye American Idol and Hello BROADWAY!

Jason: GO HOME ALREADY.

Brooke: I was a big fan but this is the second start and restart. Not in the professionals honey, not in the professionals.

David: Another Broadway star, great tone but boring performer.

Carly: Awesome as usual and under credited by the judges. Although the t-shirt was cute.

David C: Didn't like it again, but will vote for him.

Bottom Three: Jason, Brooke, Carly
Should go home: Jason
Will go home: Jason

[I'm a rebel]

 
At 9:09 AM, April 24, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That show sucked, and Carly needed to go home, but not before Brooke. So much for rewarding a great performance. Brooke f*#!ing sucks and I hope she is wreaked with guilt from now until she is booted off the show. Syesha should have been rewarded with not being in the bottom two, but such is life. Any would someone please punch David A. in the face? His smiley perfect dweeby face is starting to give me the creeps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home