Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Idol Top 7: Morning After

This week Idol takes on the Mariah Carey song book. Sure Mariah has the 160 million cd's sold, 18 number-one singles and 5 Grammy's but can she truly mentor the idol hopefuls? Watching Mariah speaking to the camera and with the Idols, she seemed a little uncomfortable and stiff, which was very odd. The big question is can the girls cover her songs without being compared to the original and can the guys figure out a way to sing her songs?

David A. | When You Believe

Leather Pants? Has David growing up right before our eyes? Anyway, for once I liked that David didn't go all sappy and depressing piano driven song and sang this song very well. His vocals are right on, as usual and this week I have to say I actually liked his performance overall.

Carly | Without You

I liked how she took the song down a little into a deeper voice and she swelled at the end. Being a straight cover, it does pale in the original. On the positive side, I really liked how she looked in the dark dress because I have found her large tattoos distracting.

Syesha | Vanishing

I like Syesha and she certainly has the look of a pop star so I have been hoping she would do well. She sang the song well and she looked great on stage. I would have preferred to hear more lyrics and less runs this week. On a side, I am glad to see the AI stylist have been reading my blog and gave her hair a little spice with some sparkles.

Brooke | Hero

I really love Brookes quirky voice but I'm not sure this was the best song selection for her person style. She again was solid with the whole piano/singer-songwriter vibe but by choosing such a well known song she maybe have been choosing to leave Idol this week. [How sad would it be if this is her last week and she missed her sisters wedding?]

Kristy | Forever

It must be gold dress week. Kristy sang this pretty well however I have to say I felt bored for the entire song. She said she wanted to connect with the song but I think she forgot to connect with the audience. I still have hope she can find a way to make it enough to buy her horse back.

David C. | Always Be My Baby

I liked the arrangement [wonder if he got that from iTunes] but I thought his opening vocals fell flat at times and maybe it was the selection of such a hugely popular song. The mid-point to the end was much better and he continues to a fan favorite. Even if his last few lyrics were nearly inaudible.

Jason | I Don't Want To Cry

Although this is another song in a string of Coffee House tracks by Jason, this one I liked because I felt it was an original take on this Mariah song [unlike the other covers which have been down a thousand times before]. Maybe it was him without the guitar and just putting everything into the vocals instead.

On a whole, Simon was right and the guys did much better than the gals. It seems like songs written for a woman was an advantage for the guys who didn't get the natural comparison.

Hottie Of The Week: Carly
Bottom Three: Carly, Syesha and Brooke
Should Go Home: Brooke
Will Go Home: Brooke

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, April 16, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not the most exciting artist for me, as I think Mariah Carey songs are as much about production as they are her voice, but I digress. As for her interaction with the idols, I thought it was good and she genuinely liked to hear her songs sung by someone else.

David A. | When You Believe

Great singing, and a great start to the show. I just don't know how much more of this kid I can take, though. He is good, but I haven't been really impressed by him since Week 3, and even when I was impressed, I still didn't LIKE him.

Carly | Without You

Man, Carly can't relax! She is very pretty and very nice and a great singer, but her performances don't cut it. Add to that her husband's crazy tattooed face (smart to leave him home until the top 10) and I would say she has only a few weeks left.

Syesha | Vanishing

Wino, are you kidding me with the sparkles? I can't wait to see you next time and see if you have "spiced" up your do at all! Syesha looked great (Hottie of the Week great!) and her voice did hold up, but I just don't see a star here. She doesn't have her own identity, kind of like Katherine McPhee?


Brooke | Hero

I am voting for Brooke to go home this week just for the wonderful story of it all. That is fricking lame that she didn't attend the wedding. Fricking lame. You are a bad sister and deserve to get kicked off the show. Oh, and the song was a crappy choice and this week hurt you because you are a dated old soul who doesn't have much relevance today.

Kristy | Forever

I will buy this girl a horse any day! I think the interesting thing about KLC is that she keeps getting better every week. Her confidence is improving and therefore her performances improve. This is refreshing compared to the downward spiral that is Carly, but honestly, she can't last too many more weeks.

David C. | Always Be My Baby

Is there another similar arrangement on iTunes? I thought that he was all worked up at the end because he did the arrangement himself or tried something very different that was truly his own. I might be reading into this a bit, but I agree with the judges that this guy is so ready to make an album.

Jason | I Don't Want To Cry

I agree with the Wino here that Jason did well because he focused on the vocals, and I think this was my favorite performance of the night, even though I didn't think that until typing it up this morning. I also think that Mariah's suggestions may have made for a much stronger vocal performance by Jason this week. I also love the fact that he is still true to himself.


This is really the "sweet spot" for AI, where the songs are longer and the judges can ramble on, but not for too long. However, I am still a little want for some Sanjaya-level controversy!


Hottie Of The Week: Syesha
Bottom Three: Carly, KLC and Brooke
Should Go Home: Brooke
Will Go Home: Brooke

 
At 9:47 AM, April 16, 2008, Blogger TheWino said...

Dude, got my hair cut last night and I have just three words to ddescribe it - High And Tight! Maybe I should throw a few sparkles in for the Marathon next week....

 
At 7:37 PM, April 16, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"High and tight, like a stoned virgin."

-J-Man

 

Post a Comment

<< Home