Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Idol Top 8: Morning After

In line with Idol Gives Back [tonight 7:30/6:30c, Only On FOX], the contestants were given the task of choosing inspirational songs this week. One question before I get started: Paula, is that a dress or some sort of medieval torture device? Ok so let's see what songs inspire our Idols this year:

Michael | Dream On [Aerosmith]

First Fred "Freddy" Jones of Scooby Doo fame called, he wants his ascot back. As for the song, it felt a little flat to start but was strong at the end. How did he hit those high notes anyway? Not sure this song fits Michael's personal style and unless he can find it, he might not be going much further.

Syesha | I Believe [Fantasia]

Can't they do anything with her hair? Anyway, great, great, great song choice. This is by far Syesha's best performance and I really loved the whole background singer crew in the loft. I've never heard the original version of this song but I guess after the judges gushed over it, I'll have to give it a listen.

Jason | Over The Rainbow [Israel "Iz" Ka'ano'i Kamakawiwo'ole]

"Blazing Molting Hot"??? Really Randy? I thought it was just ok and I again felt this was just more of the same Coffeehouse Idol stuff Jason has done for the past few weeks. By the way, if you want to hear how that song is supposed to sound check out WBOS at 11:55 AM on any Sunday morning.

Kristy | Anyway [Martina McBride]

A really sweet song for a really sweet girl. Good choice going with a country type track and her outfit looked good too! Perhaps she will be in the top 5 this week instead of the bottom 3.

David C. | Innocent [Our Lady Peace]

Honestly, I didn't get it. Started off all over the place vocally and ended ok. Did he pick this song because he loved it or because he can sing the hell out of it? Probably just a simple personal indulgence this week and though I loved the Give Back writing on his hand. That was quite clever.

Carly | The Show Must Go On [Queen]

I personally love this song [being the last single released before Freddie Mercury's death] and really think Carly can sing almost anything. This however was not her best performance but I thought it was totally good enough to get her through till next week, even if she is in the bottom three. And she did look good, thanks for noticing Simon.

David A. | Angels [Robbie Williams]

Good to see him back behind the piano again but I'm not sure this was a great song choice for me. Started pretty flat and the vocals came together in the chorus and the end. Not sure why I'm not feeling David while the judges drool over him week after week. Maybe it's because I'm not 14 or 80 years old.

Brooke | You Got A Friend [Carole King]

My 1970's house called and it wants it's curtains back. Not sure I like the overall down-tempo arrangement of this song [which is in line with King's version]. JT plays this a bit quicker and think Brooke would have been better served with that style. Not sure how this performance will play out in the vote and Brooked looked very concerned when the judges were granting their opinion.

Least Inspiring Song: Innocent - Our Lady Peace
Bottom Three: Michael, Carly & Brooke
Should Go Home [for last night]: Brooke
Should Go Home [for the whole season]: Jason
Will Go Home: Brooke

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, April 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee Lee said...
Paula's dress was absurd, I think Simon should have commented on her dress instead of picking on Carly.
Michael: Ended strong but not great.
Syesha: I thought is was great until the judges started talking about Fantasia (not a fan) so I listened to Fantasia's version and WOW, yeah, I agree...Syesha was not even close. She needs to stop picking the "GREATS", Celine, Whitney and I am not saying she is great but her version of I Believe, Fantasia. Stop trying to be the power house of Idol and pick a better song choice that the judges will deem "your own".

Jason: I don't get it anymore. He sang Iz's version, big F'in deal, so can I, every Sunday at noon on WBOS. Blazing Molting Hot?? Randy has been wrong almost 95% of the time lately. Someone should check his Coke glass, I think he is drinking what Paula's been drinking.

Kristy Lee: Sweet and good enough to stay one more week but the country girl is not going to win this year. Her days are numbered.

David C: The worse song choice of the night and his worse performance yet but I am a HUGE David Cook fan and will buy his first, second etc. CD's he puts out. I LOVE HIS VOICE more than Chris Daughtry and that is saying something.

Carly: Looked better this week but still not great. Again, I think her and David will battle in the end but like David C, I didn't get her song choice. Of all the songs to be inspired to, that one. I love Queen and I love when Freddy sings that song but not her. NG = not good :(

David A: I think him and Jason could make a career out of their voices and versions for MUZAK, the elevator music. Boring, not nearly as good as Robbie Williams and I am not even a fan of his but RW BLOWS THE DOORS off that song and little David A did not. I have no idea why the judges have such a hard on for this kid. His tone is great but it's the same ol' same ol' each week and watch him closely...when he smacks his lips he looks like howdy doody and someone is moving his mouth. It's just weird.

Brooke Brooke Brooke: I was so disappointed. I am a huge fan of hers too because of her distinctive voice but she didn't get it done this week. I am afraid her time is near but I hope she gets a recording deal cuz I would love to hear what she has up her sleeve. She is sweet and really believes in herself and I like that.

Bottom 3: Brooke, Jason, Kristy (cuz what would the bottome three be without her)
Should go home: Jason
Will go home: Brooke :(

 
At 9:55 AM, April 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, without reading any other posts first (sorry for any duplication), a few points up front:

1. I could see Paula's chiuahuas coming out of her dress. Yowza! She tried to put them back in, but it was too late, as I had seen everything!

2. Did Randy slam a few Red Bulls before the show? He was animated and talked and used sentences outside of "It was just allright for me." and "That was hot, yo."

3. Is it me or is Idol just "nice" this year? All good singers, adding instruments is cool, and everything is nice. No train wrecks, no shock based on who goes home. Is it all a bit boring?


Michael | Dream On [Aerosmith]

I loved when he hit the high note and it showed a lot of range. I think that he strayed from the blues that should be his thing, but overall it was a really good, high-energy performance to get the show going.

Syesha | I Believe [Fantasia]

I fricking cannot stand Fantasia and all of the ass-kissing she gets from the judges. Syesha sang this as good as anyone can, but her big problem is she has this talent and she has stage presence, but no star quality or personality of her own.

Jason | Over The Rainbow [Israel "Iz" Ka'ano'i Kamakawiwo'ole]

Jason Castro can put out a CD tomorrow and it will be the most casual and fun yet ambient and soothing music out there. I like how he does his thing each week and doesn't try to be someone he is not or change too much, even if that does make him a bit boring sometimes.

Kristy | Anyway [Martina McBride]

Hottie of the week! Kristy finally looked comfortable and like she was having fun, and I really like that she finally got a week where the judges loved her. She deserves it. I actually hope she is not in the bottom 3 this week, as she has earned it.

David C. | Innocent [Our Lady Peace]

Talk to the hand, yo! Nice finish to a rather "indulgent" song. Lyrics were too fast to understand, and his voice was washed out in the backups and the band. He looked like a pro and I have to say the writing on the hand was fricking genius.

Carly | The Show Must Go On [Queen]

OK, Simon makes these calls and I have the opportunity to sleep on them, but you really could see that she was kind of singing angry when everyone else was having a good time. She also looked great from the waist up (she is a beautiful woman) but the pants were less than flattering, so I don't know what Simon was thinking. She seems to be becoming a perennial disappointment?

David A. | Angels [Robbie Williams]

I loved the chorus on this, but the lower parts of this were not so good. I am kind of over the cutesy "Tiger Beat" thing, and I would love to see him in the bottom three, but I think the way he belted out the chorus he will be smooth sailing for another week.

Brooke | You Got A Friend [Carole King]

I could go on and on and poke fun at Brooke here. I have to say she looked like what would have happened if one of the Von Trappe family singers grew up and became a prostitute. That hair was AWFUL, and I know because I know awful hair. As for her performance, it was good song choice, but nothing spesh. She was so visibly shaken (get it, "shaking nanny"?) at the end of the day that she knows she is going home this week.

Bottom Three:
Brooke
Syesha
Carly

Should Go Home:

Brooke

Will Go Home:

Brooke

 
At 11:25 AM, April 09, 2008, Blogger TheWino said...

J. " but it was too late, as I had seen everything!" Now that is brilliant! Too funny man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home