Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Idol Top 9: Morning After

Although not my brand of music/artist, Dolly Parton is one of the most successful female country artists of all time with 25 number-one singles and 42 top-10 country albums. When the group of idol hope fulls sang 9 to 5 though, Yikes! Well they all can't be winners. How well did Dolly mentor the Idol's? Let's see...

Brooke | Jolene
Perfect song choice and I loved the arrangement. Contrary to Simon, I liked the four piece band on this track on stage. I think she did a good job and a country-ish/folk style record would work for her.


Rant: I know David has gotten some bad press about "his" arrangements but this pre-song question was A. so lame and B. only asked to have him say he borrowed most of his arrangements from other artists. Come on AI, is this the best you can do? Really? Since the judges never ask the contestants where the musical arrangements come from, why should we assume they are all original? If the media at large wants to hear what these guys and girls can compose for themselves, how about original week and see how that works out? Yeah I didn't think so. And by the way, the first thing I would do if I had to cover a song written in 1971 is see if anyone else has already recorded a version with a different musical style but I guess that's not such a novel concept [but I wouldn't use iTunes]. Ok rant over.

David C. | Little Sparrow
Not my favorite song by David this season and I didn't really care for the high pitched falsetto but he certainly continues to keep things very cool. And finally a hair cut, about time!


Ramiele | Do I Ever Cross Your Mind
Paula said Ramiele was having fun, but I don't think the audience was. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz She has a nice voice but I'm just not connecting with her performances. At least her legs, even as short as they are, looked good.


Jason | Travelin' Thru
Good but again more of the same. Jason has shown over the past few weeks he has very little range. I;m sure that grin and puppy dog eyes will keep him around a few more weeks. Note to self: If I ever get to Dollywood, borrow Simon's pass.


Carly |
Super vocal control and swelled perfectly at the end. Not so sure about her outfit though. If she continues to make good choices and deliver great vocals, she could give David Cook a run for the title.


David A. | Smoky Mountain Memories
There's no doubt the kid can sing but I am wondering if anyone would buy a whole album of those ballads he has been belting out over the past few weeks? I'm not sure this kind of music would even sell as single on iTunes.


Kristy | Coat of Many Colors
Not the strongest signer but I really liked her natural southern twang and how it fit with this song. Plus she gets the coveted Hottie Of The Week award!


Syesha | I Will Always Love You
Here's the problem, Whitney made this song uber-famous and Syesha is no Whitney. Sure the last note was long and big but that doesn't make up for the rest of the song. Good not great was a really good way to put it. Thanks Simon.


Michael | It's All Wrong But It's All Right"
Michael made an old song current again. Loved the bluesy/gospel vibe on his rendition and it even sounded, and I am very secure in my manhood, sexy.


Bottom Three: Ramiele, Jason & Kristy
Should Go Home: Ramiele
Will Go Home: Ramiele

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, April 02, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Entertaining last night, but not overly so. Much more pleasant when it is only an hour! I think the big thing here is that everyone is good. No Sanjayas, no train wreck performances. Combine that with curtailed judge commentary, and it makes for a very nice show!

Brooke
Good song choice, but Brooke gets the big yawn from me. I just don't know that she is all that relevant these days.

David Cook
(BTW-Good out on the rant. I concur.) His look is getting better, and I thought he really showed off the pipes this week. He really can work with just about any song, and should continue to do well.

Ramiele
I think her legs get a little bit "puffy" as they go up, actually. I do. I really do. However, I think that the performance was bad enough that I actually spent time looking at her legs. Pop artist trying to do country is pretty sad...

Jason
I thought he actually did a lot better this week! More animated, more energized, but still cool and casual. He's not in it to win it, but I like listening to him every week.

Carly
Soooooo much better than last week. She seemed much happier and natural, and I didn't notice the outfit until Simon said anything, so that proves if you backlight someone enough, you can totally hide what they are wearing!

David Archuleta
He's back in the running, but I don't know how much the last two weeks have hurt him. His voice is great, but he lacks authenticity (primarily due to his age) when he sings anything too serious. How about a fun little pop ditty, Dav-ey?


Kristy
The bare feet was all I needed for hottie of the week! She looks great, she sounds OK, and this was another good but not great week for KLC.

Syesha
Your best-case scenario after singing this song is that you can hold a candle to Whitney, but the down side is so scary. I thought she sounded great, but it looked like she was working way to hard to sing that song! Syesha looked great draped over the piano, too, but not enough to take the hottie award two weeks in a row!

Michael
He finally did it! This guy finally sounded like a rock star, as I didn't know the song, but it could easily have been a single today. It's too bad he was last on a short show, as he really deserved more praise for this one. Nice job mate!

Bottom Three:
Ramiele, Brooke & Kristy
(Boys rule, girls drool!)

Should Go Home:
Ramiele (for the last few weeks)

Will Go Home:
Ramiele (when they fall, they fall fast!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home