Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Idol Top 12: The Morning After

For the first week on the big new stage, AI gave the contestants the Lennon/McCartney songbook to pick from. Most of us would just refer to that as The Beatles but the week did not include all of The Beatles songs because some were not written by Lennon/McCartney. So I take this moment to thank George Harrison for songs like Here Comes the Sun, Taxman and While My Guitar Gently Weeps, which all could have been great choices. Lastly before I get to each Idol, I have one question: What was with Ryan's Hair? In the immortal words of Thomas R. " Tommy" Callahan III - He's got really weird hair.

Syesha Mercado | Got to Get You into My Life

Syesha's take on this song felt like the Beatles meets disco or as Randy called it an Earth, Wind and Fire arrangement. The song gave Syesha a change to show off some wind, I mean vocal talent but it really lacked the fire which would make it a great performance.

Chikezie | She's a Woman

This song choice may have been the best of the night. From the O' Brother Where Art Thou opening to it's up-tempo finish, Chikezie looked like he was having a ball on stage and showed pretty good range. Overall I thought this was not only an awesome cover but it was my favorite song of the night.

Ramiele Malubay | In My Life

Ramiele has been praised for having such a big voice for a small person but last night was just so-so. The vocals were solid and her voice sounded good but I didn't hear the big notes and agree with Paula that this just was a safe song for Ramiele.

Jason Castro | If I Fell

His voice felt whispery and couldn't fully reach the high notes, which might not be his particular style. He also seemed a little off beat to the music but I like Jason and think is he picks songs that fit his style he could go far. Oh and no Paula I did not feel Jason's heart on this song.

Carly Smithson | Come Together

The judges have been praising her voice for a while but this was the song that I felt it really shined. Great song choice and arrangement. This kind of performance could land her in the finals. I actually thought that Amanda was going to pick this song. Maybe her roommate is rubbing off on her a little. PS Ryan stay out of student's rooms.

David Cook | Eleanor Rigby

Started a little shaky in the low voice beginning but came through tight on the chorus [and a little Daughtry-esque] and the second half of the song. I liked that he was sans-guitar and looked a little more frontmanish. At this point, I think David could be the the Idol to beat - both this season and next year when the Idol's albums begin to drop.

Brooke White | Let It Be

Brookes look very comfortable in front of a piano belting out a heart felt rendition of Let It Be. She has a unique voice with a small country twang to it which I like. I would have maybe added more of the band into it earlier bur overall it was good. By the way, I loved the We [heart] Brooke (but miss our nanny) sign!

David Hernandez | I Saw Her Standing There

As he began to sing I actually said "Yikes" out loud. This was by far the worst song choice of the night and David might be better off with a country slant to his songs - not that he might have another chance. He took a fairly simple song and made it into a runny mess of falsetto's which were all over the place. I'll say it again, Yikes.

Amanda Overmyer | You Can't Do That

At first I was mesmerized by her stripped pants but I can to when she began to put her trademark southern/blues/rock take on the song. I thought she sounded good and the song was at a good tempo for her style. Although I think her limited range will only take her so far.

Michael Johns | Across the Universe

First let me say I loved the picture of him as a kid in a Vegemite t-shirt. Men at work would be so proud. I liked his straightforward cover of this classic song with a minimalist approach to the arrangement and felt this was his best song since getting to the top 24. He will need to take his next song to another level if he wants to become more of a frontrunner.

Kristy Lee Cook | 8 Days A Week

I liked the whole mega violin thing to start the song but when the rest of the band jumped in I felt the song was going a million miles an hour. Just way too fast. Kristy sounded like she was trying to keep up and at times rushed like she was covering a Jay Z song. Overall, though, I liked her vocals when she slowed down for the chorus. On a side note, the 80's called and they want their jeans back.

David Archuleta | We Can Work It Out

For the first time, David looked completely lost on the stage. He looked so uncomfortable with the song and maybe the bigger venue. Stevie Wonder is a musical genius in all but this was Beatles week, stick to more Beatle-ish covers. And N E V E R forget your lyrics. That is the one unforgivable thing [to me anyway] on American Idol.

I was surprised the judges didn't give him a harder time on that point and if it were only up to me, he would be done because of that alone. But it is not and he will probably stay but this does show he has weaknesses and may not be the Idol to beat.

Cream Of The Crop:

1. Chikezie
2. Carly Smithson
3T. David Cook
3T. Brooke White

Muddling In The Middle:

1. Michael Johns
2. Amanda Overmyer
3. Jason Castro
4. Ramiele Malubay

Bottom Of The Barrel:

1. David Hernandez
2. David Archuleta
3T. Kristy Lee Cook
3T. Syesha Mercado

Should Go Home: David Archuleta

Will Go Home: David Hernandez

Do you have some thoughts on last night's Idol? Please add them into the comments on this post. Now back to work... She loves me yeah, yeah, yeah...

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, March 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Syesha:
Man is she a hottie. She sounded good too, but she has to get back to showing those legs off if she wants to stay in this.

Chikezie:
Thanks for the spelling help E! This was really a cool performance, one of the best of the night, and Ryan's wiping of the sweat from his head was actually funny to watch. It was really fun to see him step it up on the big stage, and he looked really good in his video piece as well.

Ramiele:
Back to the sushi shop for you. I know she had some great songs, but this girl is defeated. She missed Danny the birl (or is that goy?) and basically is getting more and more mediocre as the weeks go by.

Jason:
He needs to show some range. Whiny folk singer is fun one week, but gets old after a while. Plus, he has to compete with Brooke for the category of whiny folk singer, and she has boobies.

Carly:
She was really good and will be all set this week. Shouldn't the AMERICAN idol sound like she drinks Miller Lite more than Guiness?

David Cook:
This guy is cool. He stood out in the end when they reviewed everyone. Plus, his bartender job just made him a lot cooler in my book. He has a real Jack Black thing going on, doesn't he?

Brooke White:
There is a reason Carly Simon isn't doing concerts any more, and that is that her audience is getting way too old and either becoming deaf or dying. Brooke is a hit with the older crowd, but me thinks the kids could care less about the crybaby nanny that has never seen an R rated movie before. She won't go this week, but she'll go soon....very soon. Mu-ha-ha-ha-ha!

David Hernandez
Sorry, but I can't watch this guy without picturing gay guys with dollars in the front row. How come he didn't profile his stripper job in the video intro? This guy is going home this week, as that was just horrible.

Amanda:
She is a niche player here, and she did mumble her words, but she sounded cool doing it! Her makeup person did an awesome job on her. Doesn't she look better this week than she ever has before? She's hot, yo! The dog pound loves Amanda!

Michael:
Yes it was boring, but he couldn't come out and do another classic rock song again. He does need to mix it up take chances. He's good looking, but if he comes across as dull, he'll be working at Outback steak house before April Fool's day.

Kristy:
Sure it was a train wreck, and this is a good lesson to learn that you have to know what is right on your own, because listening to the judges or the band can be hazardous to your career! I would like to think that her vocals (which were good) and her Country Fried Good Looks will get her through to next week, and in the meantime, she should go punch the band.

David Archuleta:
It was nice to see Wonder Boy stumble last night. I am so rooting against this kid, just because I can. I think the judges have been a bit biased,and I was hoping he would cry last night. Get used to David though, as he will have little girls voting for him for weeks to come.

So going home tonight will be David Hernandez, and the bottom three will also include Kristy Lee Cook and...wait for it...Rameile Malubay!

 
At 11:35 AM, March 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee Lee said...
Chikeze, Carly and Brooke were the three that stood out from the rest. Since this was Chikeze's first time standing out for me, he will have to keep up the momentum to stay in the ring with the big girls and boys but I agree...say goodbye David Hernandez. Dave, don't be too fast to say how you hated your past job this summer. They may need to hire you back. I hear Justin Guaraní is looking for help with his karaoke gig on Saturday nights! There is hope for you yet. I thought Amanda was good but again, so predictable...her 15 minutes is almost up. I also agree that Christy Lee Cook's song was way too fast, it almost put me in a seizure. My God, could the arrangement sucked anymore? Too bad for her, it wasn't her singing this time. sYESha is a NO for me this week, her time too is ticking away. I love Jason, love love love this kid but he was too meek this week. Not a winner for me. David Archuleta better hope he won't be judged on this week alone cuz he may also be filing and application with Justin Guaraní and his traveling karaoke gig. The rest are not worth mentioning but I have my eye on David Cook. I really like him the most but this week was 'Ah right 4 me daugh, had some pitchy problems in the beginning then it was just OK for me".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home