Friday, December 08, 2006

Some ideas for 2007

I have been thinking about next year and what goals can I set for myself. This year it was a marathon, so what's left? Well here are three things I would like to accomplish next year:

1. Run Heartbreak Hill. Those who know the Boston Marathon know the legend of Johnny Kelley and his, as the Boston Globe reported, heartbreak on the fourth and final of the Newton Hills when he passed then leader Ellison Brown with a pat on the back only to loose the marathon when Brown passed him on the way down the other side. Since 1936, this 100 foot climb over half a mile has been known as Heartbreak Hill. The climb itself is not particularly hard but it is it's location on the marathon route, mile 20.5, which makes it all so difficult. The Heartbreak Hill Striders run an out and back loop every Sunday along the marathon route, including Heartbreak Hill, and one Sunday morning this summer I want to join them and take a historical run over the hill.

2. We going Streaking! No, not the way Will "Frank The Tank" Ferrell did in Old School but starting a Running Streak. The United States Running Steak Association defines it as "running at least one continuous mile within each calendar day under one's own body power". I know I can run at least 1 mile a day, now I just have to make it a priority to get out there [or on the treadmill] for at least a mile everyday. Can I make it 365 days in a row? I'd like to find out and if you want to see other who are currently doing it, check out USRSA's active list - 5 members who have been streaking over 35 years!

3. Swim, Bike, Run. Yup that's right, a Triathlon. I'm thinking about an Olympic length race which is made up from 1.5 km Swimming [.93 miles], 40 km on a Bike [24.85 miles] and a 10 km Run [6.21 miles]. Ironman length is never going to happen for me, I mean I did finish the marathon but not with enough energy to also Swim 2.4 miles and Bike 112 miles. I am currently eyeing the 2007 Cranberry Country Triathlon, which will be held on Sunday, August 26, 2007 in Lakeville, Massachusetts. I really need to get on the bike and into the pool if I am going to do this. Anyone got a wetsuit? Anyone want to join me?

Well that should about do it for next year and don't worry, I would never miss the Harpoon 5-Miler or the Worcester Firefighters Memorial 6K. They have become traditions for the summer running season.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, December 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, I wish I was a runner...

Maybe my girl K will join you in a triathalon, she's a runner you know...

 
At 1:10 PM, December 08, 2006, Blogger TheWino said...

The streak is under way. 1 mile today + 10 miles on the bike.

 
At 5:04 PM, December 08, 2006, Blogger TheWino said...

I would also like to run a Terry Fox race one day too... http://www.terryfoxrun.org/english/home/default.asp?s=1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home