Tuesday, October 24, 2006

RUNCHI: The End

ED LAVALETTE Bib #1860
MILFORD, MA - UNITED STATES
Age 35 M USA

FINISH: 4:31:16

Four hours, thirty one minutes and sixteen seconds. That is how long it took me to finish the Chicago Marathon on Sunday. It was the hardest thing [physically and mentally] I have ever attempted and completed in my life.

The race itself was really awesome. As the local papers call it: 40,000 runners, 1.5 million spectators and one unforgettable experience! And they were right. So many runners that you're never "alone" on the course. So many spectators along the way that the cheering never ended [a special shout out to the China and Greek town residents who came out in full force]. The course travels from Millennium park, to the northside, back to the loop, down to the southside and then finally back to the park. This was an experience I will never forget.

A big thanks to everyone who encouraged, prayed, ran with, cheered for and helped me over the past 2+ years to complete this enormous goal of mine. I could not have done it with out each of you who have helped in your own little ways. Thank you very, very, very much!

4 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, October 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed,

You should be proud of yourself. What an awesome job you did of challenging yourself mentally and physically. You have helped me so much with my running (and of course my rio). Maybe next year you can do Boston?

Great Job,
Kim D.

 
At 11:38 AM, October 24, 2006, Blogger TheWino said...

As a side note, the song playing over the loud speakers as we walked to the starting line was Right Now by Van Halen!!!

 
At 12:54 PM, October 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Magnum ;-p
Great job, dude. It blows me away, the number of people that can actually run for 26 miles.

Sadly, I couldn't run for 26 SECONDS, so you can just imagine how much of an achievement I think this is.

 
At 2:23 PM, October 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ed,
Congratulations on completing the race! That is really a big accomplishment- way to go! When I get back to my running ide sure like to try to out race ya ......yeah....that was funny. Anyway great job you must be so proud.
Love Steph and Makayla :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home