Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Idol, The Morning After Michael Jackson Week

To start season 8, Idol gives our top 13 the Michael Jackson catalog to work from. Since that includes tracks from the Jackson 5 through Thriller/Bad and into his current stuff no one knows so it should be interesting what the contestants pick to cover. So here we go...

Lil Rounds - The Way You Make Me Feel

Really good start to the season 8 with a solid performance. I look forward to see her sing something a bit more her own style. PS Glam Squad, I hate what she is wearing too.

Scott MacIntyre - Keep the Faith

Behind the Piano is exactly where Scott belongs. This isn't a song I am familiar with and beyond a few flat spots I thought it was good. Keep the faith brother.

Danny Gokey - P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)

PAT - Pretty Awesome Track! Slick beginning, rockin' mid section and awesome crowd participation in the end. Ok so he can't dance so what. I just hope he hasn't peaked too early.

Michael Sarver - You Are Not Alone

Another song I don't know very well but I think this was a pretty good effort. As a likable family guy, I think Michael should hang around for a while.

Jasmine Murray - I'll Be There

For a song written in 1970, Jasmine made her version sound very current. With her good looks and soulful voice, Jasmine is someone who is bound for big things.

Kris Allen - Remember The Time

I like the song choice and thought Kris was pretty good. With his quick guitar strumming I would have loved to hear this song with a more Latin feel [or Santana-ized] would have made it even better.

Allison Iraheta - Give In To Me

There's no doubt Allison can sing but I'm not sure this song really did it for me. Maybe it just another song that is on the less popular side of the MJ collection. Unlike Paula, I liked the righter red hair then tonight's maroon color.

Anoop Desai - Beat It

I begrudgingly have to say Anoop Dog did better than I expected on this song. Decent vocals and I think he hugely benefits from a crowd pleasing [and super uptempo] song.

Jorge Nuñez - Never Can Say Goodbye

Zzzzzzz, oh sorry I think I nodded off during his performance. Maybe Latin-American Idol would work better for Jorge. Opps don't mention Bad when you are waiting to hear from Simon.

Megan Joy - Rockin' Robin

Not sure this song can be made sound current but I think Megan did about as much as one can do with this very dated track. Please, please can someone tell her to stop with the distracting hip shaking dancing she is now doing with each performance. Thanks.

Adam Lambert - Black Or White

No sure this is the song for Adam and his unique singing style. I felt his timing was off for most of the song and the mid section just made me feel angry. No matter what the judges say, I thought it was a big rough all around.

Matt Giraud - Human Nature

For me, this is Matt's best performance so far and it really showed what kind of artist he would be. Another guy who really belongs behind the piano and is another guy who should be around for a while.

Alexis Grace - Dirty Diana

I thought it was an odd song choice but I think it worked. Not sure this tells us what kind of artist she will be but I think she should be here for a few more weeks so we can find out.

Cream Of The Crop: Danny, Jasmine and Matt
Bottom Of The Barrel: Anoop, Jorge and Adam
Should Go Home: Jorge
Will Go Home: Jorge

UPDATE: If two go home tonight, I hope Anoop and Jorge share a plane ride back to once they came...

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, March 11, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee Lee said...
Cream Of The Crop: Danny (wanted to dance with Paula) and Matt (wanted to get on his piano like Michelle Pfeiffer in the Fabulous Baker Boys.) YUM-O
Bottom Of The Barrel: Anoop and Jorge (just don't get the attraction)
Should Go Home: both
Will Go Home: Jorge

Early prediction: The final four will be Danny, Matt, Allison and Adam. Two soul singers vs two rockers. Just can't predict the winner yet but I say this is the best GROUP of singers Idols has ever produced this early. Remember Sanjay and Chicken little, not so muchhhhhhhhhh
Get Jorge and Anoop off and now we're talking!

Side notes:
I liked Lil Rounds outfit...baby got back!
Jasmine should be pulled off today and given a modeling contract where eventually she'll end up in a movie and she can sing all her dialog. She is gorgeous!
Scott is good but won't win.
Agree with Meghan and the hip swinging. I am sure she is reviewing the tapes but someone has got to make her stop. The hip swinging with the arm tat, don't go together! If she was swinging her hair around like the ACDC guy, that makes sense but swinging her hips like a 5 yr old? Did her kid give her lessons?
Last but not least....Matt is JT and Gavin DeGraw rolled into one and I HEART MATT!

 
At 2:16 PM, March 11, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job on the opening round Wino!

Lil Rounds:
I loved it at first, saying, "this is a great start" to myself, but it seemed to fade as other singers "blew it out da box" as Randy would say. I am pretty sure about white pants being a no no, as she looked great from the front, but could her butt be any bigger?

Scott MacIntyre:
The only reason this guy is here is because he is blind. I am sorry, but someone has to say it. His voice is limited and he doesn't convey a third of the emotion Kara says he does.

Danny Gokey:
I saw a few awkward moves in his stage presence, but I think Randy was right in that you could see him getting really into the song and delivering it. When you are singing like that, who cares if a limb flails out every once in a while?

Michael Sarver:
The oilmen cheering for Michael was cool, and I like this performance. He is a cool guy, and he is doing everything right to compensate for his lack of vocal chops. I think America likes this guy more than most people realize.

Jasmine Murray:
This girl is so pretty, she is a joy to watch, but she is still immature in terms of performance, especially compared to some of the others. Vocally she did great, and looks will carry her through, but she needs to work on her stage acting!

Kris Allen:
I thought America would consider Kris this "out of nowhere" guy that was first week cannon fodder, but I am feeling better after this week, because I really liked him. He sang well, looked great behind the guitar, and it's OK to bring the wife out early, so long as she's HOT!

Allison Iraheta:
She is the coolest 16-year old I know, and can sing like crazy. I liked the bit piece about her singing in the department store. Her parents seem to have it together too (as far as we have seen), which is important for such a young contestant. Raw talent, youth, and a great personality make Allison one to watch!

Anoop Desai:
So the "Slumdog Millionaire" mania-driven contestant didn't do well in his next appearance. I actually was thinking it was going to be a good night for Anoop as I watched his parents. He is cool, and I loved the immigrant parents angle. I think he sang the song as well as he could have, but "Beat it" is karaoke when done really well, nothing more. MJ was a freak (in a good way) with that song in his vocals and his moves, and Anoop (or anyone else) will always pale in comparison.

Jorge Nuñez:
Jeesh, this was tough to sit through the whole thing. Jorge has vocal chops and a good look, but he didn't do himself any favors with the song choice. Also, here is some free advice: It's AMERICAN Idol, Jorge. We speak ENGLISH here, and every time someone mentions the fact that you don't speak English well, you lose phone calls.

Megan Joy Corkery:
This girl is in on her looks just like Scott is here because he is blind. She looked great, though I am not the biggest fan of exposed tattoos. If I want art I will go to a museum or read Playboy magazine, not look at stretched out and faded pictures of feathers on your arms. Cover that shit up! Anyways, back to her performance. Good vocals, but why on Earth would you sing a song from decades below that belongs on a segment of a children's show? Get a clue on song choice, as you are prettier than Anoop or Jorge, but that will only let you get by one or two more weeks.

Adam Lambert:
I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as he performed. I have a big old mancrush on this guy. He is perfect, just feminine enough to be pretty, plenty of masculinity to be cool with bros. I haven't been to a Nickelback concert lately (I'm no Nickelback fan and wonder why they are so popular), so I am probably not in a position to judge, but Adam's stage presence is awesome and he could totally front a band today. Vocals were powerful, he made the song his own, and he fricking had his way with the camera. Wino, you got this one ALL WRONG.

Matt Giraud:
Great song choice, though it would have been limiting if he hadn't falsetto'ed it up at the end. He did, and I think that will give him a pass this week. However, I think a lot of people might judge him on his previous performances, too, so he isn't as safe as he might think.

Alexis Grace:
Great vocals, if a bit overdone and over the top, but the MJ song and video are the same way. She needs to stop listening to Kara and move back towards the less slutty side of life. Keep the energy, show your good looks without being a vamp, and sing something beautiful instead of just nasty.

Cream Of The Crop:
Danny, Adam, and Alexis

Bottom Of The Barrel:
Anoop, Jorge, and Megan

Should Go Home: Anoop
Will Go Home: Jorge

 
At 2:42 PM, March 11, 2009, Blogger TheWino said...

J I am rading many people who LOVE Adam and so far I'm just not digging it. I maybe way off base [which happens from time to time] but I think we might see him struggle in weeks where he needs to perform a down tempo song. We'll just have to wait and see.

 
At 8:06 PM, March 11, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will give you that he is a "love him or hate him" guy, but that means that he is going to have a lot of passionate voters. I would propose that Paula's immediate proclamation of him being a finalist may be a tad premature, but I will say that I get a Carrie Underwood-esque sense of people asking, "...and why isn't he recording right now?"

I know where you are coming from. I am the same way about the Nickelback thing. I just don't get them or understand why they are popular?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home