Tuesday, July 03, 2007

July 3rd in the office

If your like me, working on the day before the 4th of July which happens to be a mid-week holiday this year, then you are probably one of the few who are at their desk. Most of the company is off today [and for the rest of the week as a matter of fact] which is good and bad at the same time. Clearly no high-level decisions are made this week but luckily the end of the quarter was last week so their is not need for the big sales push. Some other signs of a slow week - cafeteria is closed, parking lot is pretty empty and the commute was a breeze.

So what should the cubicle worker do on a slow day before the holiday? Rearrange and clean the office I say. Do a "spring cleaning" and, if you can, rearrange the furniture, computer, posters, or plants in your office. This morning I took my standard L shaped desk and made a new wave U shaped work surface so now I can greet people as they enter my office. It's not ideal but at least I can sit face to face with my guests and you do what you can do from spare parts laying around the office.

As most companies close early for the holiday, please drive slow, have a cookout and watch some fireworks because once the 9th of July rolls around, it's business as usual - for the summer time that is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home