Thursday, August 28, 2008

Learn English or Pack Your Bag

The LPGA is adopting a policy that will require its member golfers to speak English or face suspension. All players who have been on the tour for two years could be suspended if they fail to pass an oral evaluation of their English proficiency starting at the end of the 2009 season, while new members will be required to pass the proficiency evaluation immediately. Current LPGA membership includes 121 foreign players from 26 countries, 45 from South Korea. LPGA deputy commissioner Libba Galloway says this new rule "is not meant to be punitive in any way. There are very few players who don't speak English. We don't think suspensions will happen, but if they do, we're not going to say, 'Boom, go home and try again next year.' We'll work with them on identifying areas for improvement." While I can understand the tour's point, I'm not sure requiring the golfer to speak English will in any way make their product more marketable or profitable.

On the other hand maybe the message of English is good for the sponsors has been lost on some people. When asked about the new rule, LPGA State Farm tournament director Kate Peters said "This is an American tour." She continued by saying that it is "important for sponsors to be able to interact with players and have a positive experience." So which is it? I believe the first is overshadowing the second in many peoples mind so let me offer these two facts:

1. The LPGA stands for Ladies Professional Golf Association not LPG of America
2. The 2008 schedule includes a total of 37 stops, 25 in the US and 12 on foreign soil

With 32.4% of the stops outside the US, I am hard pressed to consider the LPGA tour an American tour. I guess if the tour really wants things to be fair, then requiring the golfers to learn Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, Mandarin and English would be fine by me. But who says sports is fair.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, August 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wino, aren't you sick of having to read the illegal immigrant version of your favorite products at the supermarket? I mean when I pick up my "Lime Action" Windex, which tastes remarkably like Bud Light Lime, I find it really exhilarating to know that I can say "Poder de Lima" if I ever need to do some cleaning in my hacienda!

Not!

English is the official language of the US of A, it is the language of international business, and we had better start to enforce this if you don't want it to take a back seat to Chinese!

 
At 4:27 PM, August 28, 2008, Blogger TheWino said...

J I am actually waiting for the markets to adopt the true international language - binary.

 
At 9:29 PM, August 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a bleeding edge early adopter! You put me and my Mandarin lessons to shame!

 
At 2:16 PM, April 28, 2013, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article.

Feel free to surf to my website :: Maryellen Lockart

 

Post a Comment

<< Home