Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Idol Top 11: The Morning After

Ryan called this week The Beatles [not the Lennon/McCartney songbook] so will we hear something actually not written by the prolific duo? Let's see...

Amanda Overmyer | Back In The U.S.S.R.

Our resident rocker goes for another classic rock track. Unfortunately Amanda was drowned out by the band and showed almost no melody on the vocal bridge. Her vocals sound pretty much like every other song she has done so far. Paula predicts Amanda will "continue to go up"? I'm not so sure.

Kristy Lee Cook | You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

Singing a song she had never heard before? Risky. Started really good but fell a little flat on the chorus and once the band joined in. It might have been better to run the whole song completely stripped down. Finished strong and was much better than last week [and apparently looked gorgeous - thanks Paula].

David Archuleta | The Long And Winding Road

Welcome back to the show David. He returned to his bread and butter with a tight ballad. David gave us a very melodic performance but I am wondering if he can actually win it all win a whole season of sugary and cute ballads? Not sure but maybe if he continues his "master class" he can.

Michael Johns | A Day In The Life

Michael sounded a bit high pitched on the first section but it got it back together for the remainder of the song. Found him to be a tad boring as a performer. The whole good looking/above average singer will only go so far. And Simon was spot on, that is a very complex song which really can't be compressed that way.

Brooke White | Here Comes The Sun

Ahhh a George Harrison song and it felt like such a prefect fit for Brooke. Psss Mr. Archuleta here comes Brooke. I liked the vocals and thought, again, she connected with the song. Yeah she looked a little uncomfortable without her piano and the dancing was odd but that's ok. Her sunny yellow dress looked good.

David Cook | Day Tripper

Great song choice and the crunchy guitar work was really current. The vocals were great however the full on chorus and voice box work felt, in the words of Simon from 2 season's ago to one Chris Daughtry, a little indulgent. Maybe it is time for him to pull a Jason Castro and get all sensitive on us.

Carly Smithson | Blackbird

Sung in the style of Sarah McLachlan, but not nearly as good. It was a good vocal effort until the last 3rd where she took the song big where it really calls for the steady vocal - again as Sarah did it. I like her range of style she can sing and that could take her a long way [as long as she picks better songs].

Jason Castro | Michelle

MeeShell or is it Michelle? Anyway, for most of the song I felt like Jason was over shadowed by the full band. I really liked his french, which adds a level of difficultly to this song, and the end sounded good. I agree with Randy, which is out of the normal, that Jason looked very disconnected with the song. At least he has a face for tv!

Syesha Mercado | Yesterday

It's about time someone did this song. At least 2 people said last week this was their favorite Beatles song. Unfortunately Syesha took an amazing song and slowed it down [to far] and drew out each word beyond the great guitar notes. For once, I have to totally disagree with the judges and this might be Syesha's last week with us, which is a shame because I really like her.

Chikezie | I've Just Seen A Face

Not sure what happened to Chikezie last week but suddenly he is having a ball on stage and sounding pretty good at the same time. Great arrangement with solid vocals and decent harmonica work, for a guy who never played one before. Hope he makes it to country week to see what he does to an actual country track.

Ramiele Malubay | I Should Have Known Better

Ok, now that's how you play the harmonica Chikezie! I know she wanted to go for an uptempo track but this one felt too big for her. Not sure she could ever sing melodic song like the Beatles did. I will say it finished pretty good and it was somewhat better than last week.

Looking like finalists:

1. David Cook
2. David Archuleta
3. Brooke White

And not so much:

1. Syesha Mercado
2. Kristy Lee Cook
3. Ramiele Malubay

Should Go Home: Ramiele Malubay

Will Go Home: Kristy Lee Cook

Ok your lurkers [and you know who are - Kym & Kim] let's have your comments.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, March 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kym said.....ok here I am not just "lurking" but commenting too! Well, I will be brave enough to say it I really don't like the Beatles........GASP!! But that said my favorite song was sung last night, Blackbird. But I don't like the Beatles version of the song I like the Sarah McLachlan...anyway, I though Carly did a good job with it.

Amanda.....don't like her anymore, same sound every week
Kristy...I don't think she wore the right outfit to keep her another week.
Ramiele....Bye bye had enough of you
Carly....I do like her and think she will make it to the top 4
Brooke.....looked so uncomfortable on stage but I really like her so hopefully next week she will be back with her piano.
Syesha....I liked her performance, I don't think she will go too far but I also don't think she will go this week
Dave A....love him!!
Jason...he's ok but there is something a little creepy about him
Chickezie....is that how you spell his name?? I thought he was good last night, he's not going to win but he's pretty good
Michael....yeah getting a little bored with him
Dave Cook....I like this guy he kind of came out of nowhere in the competion

With all that said I think Kristy Lee will go tonight.......

 
At 12:44 PM, March 19, 2008, Blogger TheWino said...

Good thoughts Kym. Now just don't let Scott know you don't like the Beatles.

 
At 12:45 PM, March 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LeeLee said...

David Archuleta has the best tone in his voice compared to all the others. Brooke is a close second so right now I am thinking it's going to be between these two in the end. Still love Dave Cook but he was a little indulgent (Simon's comment to Chris Daughtry) with this song. I like his stuff but this week he went over board with the waa waa microphone thingie :) Michael Johns better pick it up if he wants to hang on further cuz the tide is turning for Chikeze. I would have kicked him off long ago but he is growing on me. Syesha and Ramiele...........nope. Carly...........no (Sara McLaughlin is shaking her head no), Jason...........big no. Won't even comment on Amanda or Kristy Lee Cook. Totally agree with Ed's conclusions. Except I will add in one category:

Get busy singing or get busy going home:
1. Michael Johns
2. Jason Castro

Bye Kristie Lee Cook, hope you get your horse back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home