Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Into The Wild Soundtrack

Director Sean Penn hand-picked Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder to provide the music to the film Into The Wild, which was based on Jon Krakauer's 1996 best selling non-fiction book. [Note since the book chronicles the life of the main character from 1990 to 1992, it is most fitting that the backdrop for the movie be of the distinctive voice of that time.] This is Vedder's first solo effort and, since Penn adapted the book into a screenplay, it sounds like both men had a very specific sound they were trying to create. It is also clear that Vedder had the luxury of viewing either dailies or the entire film prior to writing these songs, which is most evident when you look at the lyrics of the song Society:

society, you're a crazy breed
I hope you're not lonely without me
society, crazy and deep
I hope you're not lonely without me

society, have mercy on me
I hope you're not angry if I disagree
society, crazy and deep
I hope you're not lonely without me

Vedder fills the album with mostly folk/acoustic songs, some with haunting backing vocals, which is a great fit for the film and it's lonely journey backdrop. The only downside to the album is the length - just a hair over 33 minutes and several of the songs clock in under 2 minutes. Overall I really like this album and maybe some day Vedder will release a full length version.

Download This: Hard Sun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home