Tuesday, January 13, 2009

2009 road races

With a new year, comes a new summer of road races. Here are the 3 that I am planning on so far:

1. Harpoon 5-Miler, Boston MA - June 6

This race starts and ends at the Harpoon Brewery in the seaport district of Boston so for no other reason, you get to run right to a beer tent - which is frankly how every road race should end. Registration opens on April 1 - and no this is not an April Fools Day prank - so sign-up early because last year's race sold out in 3 weeks!

2. WFD 6K, Worcester, MA - June 14

The 10th Annual Worcester Firefighters Memorial 6K Run & Walk has been a very hot race the last few years but as fund raisers go, this one hits closest to home. The family friendly atmosphere is such a terrific thing to see in a city like Worcester and the singing of the national anthem while you look at a flag hanging over the starting line thinking about 6 brave men who were lost in 1999 brings a tear to your eye every time.

3. Sharon Timlin Memorial Event, Hopkinton, MA - June 21

This will be my first time running this 5k road race but I have heard very good things about the race and since the starting line is only 6 miles from my house, how can I not run it? Plus another road race [see Harpoon] which is raising money to find a cure for ALS is all good in my book.

Feel free to comment about other races that you think are worth running in the coming year.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, January 14, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee Lee said...Damn it, I have to work June 6th...I'll try to get it off. I have the WFD off but since I hate sitting around in 100 degree weather, maybe I'll switch for that day.
I am an official volunteer girl, no running for me. You either have it or you don't and I DON'T!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home