Friday, February 01, 2008

Oh what a night

Training for a marathon during the winter presents challenges about when you can run out doors. Last night, decided to run up and down the street on work on after work. It's fairly flat, very wide for a two lane road and fairly well lit. As I left the drive way to my office and headed down the street, I saw a car pulled over to the side with it's blinker on. I didn't give him much thought as I ran past except to notice a dog in the backseat. After one complete down and back I was going to run past the parked car. It was still parked in the exact same spot and I passed it again and didn't really give it another thought other than he was lost or something. About half way to the end of the street, I noticed a car on my side matching my running speed. I looked to my right and saw the car I had run past twice with it's window open. Since I was listening to my MP3 player, I could hear what the driver was saying. I pulled my headphones and asked if the guy needed something.

He asked "Did you my car on purpose?" Later I thought to myself, yes I'm out here running at night by myself with my headphones on and thought it would be fun to hit someone's car while they sat in the front seat with a dog in the back - of course I didn't hit your car on purpose.

I replied "I didn't hit your car." He said "Yes you did. You hit my window with your elbow." I think I would have noticed that and was thinking that maybe his dog had moved or something when I went by.

I said "If I did, I am sorry. Have a good night." and I returned to running. As I began to move again the car again matched my speed and continued to move closer so I stopped and went behind him to the other side of the street. I don't think this was intentional just a older driver not being very careful with his car.

As I got to the end of the street, the car had already turned around and was heading back but I noticed he wasn't moving and the window was still open. So, from a good distance, I again asked if there was anything he needed.

He replied "I'm not trying to scare you." This actually did take me back. He continued "I'm waiting for a delivery, that's why I am parked on the side of the road, so I am not trying to scare you." I replied "Umm, ok. Have a good night then." I ran by him one more time and by time I turned around on my loop, he was gone. Hopefully the UPS guys didn't have to get asked if he bumped his car when he dropped off the package.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home