Wednesday, December 12, 2007

w00t? what's a w00t?

I can hear Fred Gwynne's Judge Chamberlain Haller saying it now...

Uh... uh, what was that word? Uh... did you say 'w00t'?

Massachusetts-based Merriam-Webster Inc. accounced that w00t is their word of year based on an online poll of Merriam-Webster's Web site visitors. W00t is a hybrid of letters and numbers, used by gamers as an expression of happiness, joy, and excitement. The word originated in competitive online gaming as an acronym for "we own other team." According to John Morse, the President of Merriam-Webster, "w00t" was an ideal choice for the Word of the Year because it blends whimsy and new technology.

I think Julia Roberts' Vivian Ward would agree: Woot, woot, woot!

3 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, December 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was a contraction for "Wow, loot!" when gamers found little treasures back in the day.

 
At 8:24 PM, December 13, 2007, Blogger OckGal said...

Just the fact that you used Fred in your post (and that's how I found it when I went to my Google alerts, lol) makes me happy. :-)
-Lisa
www.fredgwynne.net

 
At 2:20 PM, December 14, 2007, Blogger TheWino said...

Thanks Lisa. Maybe I should use him more often.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home