Friday, December 07, 2007

The Streak - one year later

1 year ago today I started The Streak - running at least 1 mile a day, every day. On the surface this doesn't seem much like a big deal and for the most part it wasn't hard, although there were many days where I didn't want to run or ended up running at about 11 pm just to "get it in". For all the ups and downs of running everyday for one year, here are five interesting, painful or odd days in the past year:

1. January: I had a common head cold and for the most part I was able to get my mile in however one night after work I was so tired and lightheaded that I thought the streak was over before it ever really began. I got myself to the treadmill and pushed out my mile but at times felt like I was going to pass out. It's tough to run with zero energy, very little air and a pounding head. At least it wasn't a bruised rib.

2. February: Went snowboarding for the first time and after a morning full of lessons I got pretty good, for a first timer, on my board. On my last run of the day, I caught the right edge of the board while turning left and took a heavy face plant. It hurt but the next day my chest was so sore - bruised ribs. For the next week I ran on the treadmill with my left arm holding my chest tight just to finish each mile. PS: Bruised ribs don't heal so quick.

3. May: After a day of wine tasting on our trip to Northern California, we came back to the B&B and "took a nap". When we woke up 3 hours later, it was 10:30 at night. Not having a treadmill at our B&B, I got out of bed and decided to run up and down the not-so-well-lit street for 10 minutes. The owner of the B&B actually came out to see what was going on and I'm pretty sure he thinks I am absolutely nuts to be out there in the dark.

4. September: On our trip to Mexico, I had actually forgot to run one day and only remembered on the back to our room from the bar around 11:30 pm. The fitness center was closed, the property has no open running room and the local roads are completely dark. So I decided to run down the corridor of our hotel, which happen to be on the 6th floor. To make it interesting, I ran down to the 5th floor and ran back that hallway. This continued back and forth up the stairs and down the stairs for the next 10 minutes. I am glad to say no one saw me running around the hallways late at night because I'm not sure I could explain it in Spanish.

5. October: I have joked all year about running from 11:50 pm to 12:10 am and one night while Lisa was traveling and I had to run anyway, I decided to do it and cover two days in a 20 minute contiguous treadmill outing. All I know is that it was late, I got it done and don't really want to do it again.

So after 365 days and more than 575 miles, I have completed a whole year of running everyday. Now If I can just get my hands on a Boston Marathon number...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home