Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Toll or Tax?

The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority has approved a plan to increase tolls from Route 128 into Boston's tunnels. That plan can be dropped if the Legislature approves a transportation reform package that includes a 19-cent increase in the state's gas tax.

Since I do not take the Mass Pike on a regular basis, I would favor a toll hike over a gas tax which effects every driver in the state [and may force border dwellers to go over state lines for yet another product]. I am sure anyone who lives west of Framingham would agree and frankly why should residents of Pittsfield, Holyoke, or Charlton have to pay for Big Dig expenses which they typically would not benefit from? They shouldn't and I hope if these are our only two choices, the state does the right thing as raise the tolls - not that I am in favor of tolls in the first place.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, February 25, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhh...I don't know about anyone else, but the fact that Joe America is already buying SUVs again now that $4 gas is but a distant memory is as good a reason as any for a gas tax. I don't believe in global warming, but I do believe that paying money to middle eastern countries is not a good long term strategy. If a gas tax forces Gomer Pyle (who typically lives West of 495) to downsize or buy a hybrid or even better, skip the daily Wal-Mart ammo and Dorito run, then isn't it worth it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home