Wednesday, January 21, 2009

So much for books at the Bookstore

Last night was the first night of classes for WPI C Term [which is part-time, night students] and after dropping off my rather large check for the two classes I am taking at the accounting office, I made my way to the campus bookstore to pick up the serviously over priced books. Each of my classes require a single book bu the campus bookstore was currently out of both. I was told my the store manager that one was on back order and the other was on hold because of a publisher change of numbering. Also she commented that one of my classes had more students then expected. My reply was that since class started tonight, students kind of need their books now.

Having used their "back order" system, I left the bookstore with two pink slips of paper - one representing an order for each book. Pretty expensive paper when you consider I spent over $280 for them. Last semster I had a similar problem with materials for the one class I took and thought at the time that I had never had these problems in the past and now it seems to only be getting worse. If the campus bookstore continues down this quasi-just-in-time model, they are going to lose a ton of business to out side venders such as amazon next semster.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, January 21, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless the bookstore forces you to use their bookstore, why not use Amazon? Even with express shipping, the cost HAS to be less.

This is probably attributed in equal parts to the bookstore not wanting to be stuck with excess inventory, the instructor for the course waiting to see if a new revision of the book comes out in time, and the publisher marketing a new version long before it prints.

 
At 7:30 AM, January 22, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the blog entry explaining the conversation between you and the professor when they ask why you're not prepared for class.

 
At 10:39 AM, January 22, 2009, Blogger TheWino said...

J-Man - your right, I can however I prefer to pick them up at my college's bookstore to, you know, support the locals. The other thing is the publisher gives students who buy at the bookstore access to additional online information then those amazoners.

As for my professor, it's gonna go like this. Umm yeah sorry I didn't read the first 6 chapters of the book, here is the phone numner to the bookstore. Maybe they can discuss the topics better than I can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home