Monday, May 21, 2007

Bay to Breakers

The 96th Bay to Breakers 12k footrace was by far the most interesting road race I have ever completed in my short running career. The local new reports that over 60,000 people participated in yesterday's 7.46 mile race from Embarcadero to Ocean Beach. I should have known this was going to be a very unique experience when I walking to the starting area at 7:30 am and noticed the trio of runners in front of me sharing a joint walking down a very busy Market Street.

While walking around the area, I spoke with a local couple who were preparing their grocery cart/car stereo/cooler contraption that was prepped with ice, beer and blaring music who gave me a half dozen 6" tortillas and they told me I would know what to do with them. I took them at their word and carried them with me to the runner starting area and when I arrived there I realized what "they" do with tortillas they throw them around like Frisbees. I guess the runners need something to do to kill 30 minutes as they stand around on a city street on a warm Sunday morning.

Many runners wore costumes including superheroes, brides, officer workers, cheerleaders, storm troopers, hippies, fisherman, Reno 911 cops, the Three Amigos and many, many more. The most surprising "costume" were the half dozen 45-ish year old men who wore florescent yellow hats, socks and running shoes. Only in San Francisco.

The course went from the San Francisco bay [actually right from the Port of San Francisco] to the Pacific Ocean going across the entire city. Given the city's well known hills, the course was not that bad. It only had on real climb which was 200 feet up Hayes Street. Along the way up the hill there were several house parties and fraternity houses offering drinks for the runners. My personal favorite was a beer funnel that one could stop off at for a quick beer if you wanted one. Personally I prefer my beer funnel after the half way point so I had to pass.

After the summit of Hayes Street, the final 5 miles either flat or downhill which was gladly accepted after the run up Hayes. The final 3 miles wind through Golden Gate Park until we finish on Bay Ave with the ocean on our right. After the race, the runners walk over to large park readied with a concert stage for local bands to play, food tents, a beer garden, a costume contest and several sponsor and product booths. A really grand finish area fitting for a grand event and after 1 hour and 12 minutes of running, it was a welcome sight [or site, I’m not sure]. 4 years from now, the Bay to Breakers will be celebrating their 100th anniversary and maybe I can make it back to see what outrageous things the local's do for the centennial.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home